Flashback: Aldershot 1 Grimsby 1

GTFCIN THE midst of a record-breaking run without a win, Neil Woods’ Grimsby Town side travelled south to Aldershot at the end of the January transfer window, boasting three new signings that they hoped would be able to pull them out of the League Two drop zone. And they were just a spot kick away from registering their new manager’s first victory in charge of the club.

Aldershot Town          1


Grimsby Town            1

Grant (o.g.)

DATE: Saturday 30th January 2010 | COMPETITION: Coca-Cola League Two | VENUE: Recreation Ground | ATT: 3195

Neil Woods’ Grimsby Town side came away from their long trip to Hampshire wondering how they had failed to take all three points from a below-par Aldershot side.

The Mariners dominated large portions of the match and created a glut of chances. Unfortunately for their loyal band of followers they only took one of those chances and Adam Proudlock’s late penalty miss summed up Town’s luck in front of goal this season.

Woods’ new look side, including new signings Lee Peacock, Tommy Wright and Dean Sinclair started the game brightly and took the lead on six minutes. A corner was worked back to Michael Coulson and his low cross was diverted beyond his own goalkeeper by the outstretched boot of Shots’ striker John Grant.

Town had plenty of chances to add to their tally most notably through Rob Atkinson, who headed narrowly over from another corner, and Coulson. The latter somehow screwed an effort back across the face of goal when he had just Venezuelan ‘keeper Mikhael Jaimez-Ruiz to beat from Wright’s cross.

The Shots regrouped after the break and Town’s Nick Colgan had to be alert to dash off his line and deny Danny Hylton when the substitute sprung the offside trap.

Town responded with a curling effort from top scorer Peter Sweeney, which edged just inches wide of Jaimez-Ruiz’s far post.

An equaliser from the hosts arrived on 68 minutes. Marvin Morgan and Louie Soares combined to release Hylton, who got in behind the Town backline and fired beyond Colgan.

Debutant Wright was then unlucky to see an overhead kick cleared off the line by Anthony Charles as Woods’ men looked to regain the lead. At the other end, Colgan was at his best to parry Morgan’s stinging effort.

Then, with seven minutes on the clock, the Mariners were presented with a golden opportunity to notch a much-needed win. Peter Bore had advanced down the right-hand side and referee Karl Evans adjudged that Andy Sandell had handled his cross.

Adam Proudlock scoops his penalty over the crossbar as Grimsby Town draw 1-1 at Aldershot on 30th January 2010.

Adam Proudlock scoops his penalty over the crossbar as Grimsby Town draw 1-1 at Aldershot on 30th January 2010.

Proudlock stepped up to take the spot kick but scooped his kick over the cross bar and the Mariners had to make do with a point in their race to beat the drop.

SHOTS: Jaimez-Ruiz; Herd, Charles, Blackbourn, Sandell; Harding, Bozanic (Hylton), Donnelly, Soares (K Hudson); Jackson (Morgan), Grant. Subs not used: Masters, Winfield, Chalmers, Straker.

MARINERS: Colgan; Bore, Linwood, Atkinson, Widdowson; Coulson (Cowan-Hall), Peacock (Leary), Sinclair, Sweeney; Proudlock, Wright (Fletcher). Subs not used: Hegarty, Chambers, Overton, M Hudson

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.